Nurse Claire looked up from her paperwork when she heard knocks on the door. The expression of crushing boredom left her face, making place for bubbly excitation that something happened on this otherwise tiresome day.
Before she noticed it she was already standing.
Not wasting a second, she cheerfully opened the door... only to wince at the sight.
"Hi! How can I hel-- Ew, ouch! Come in, sit her on the bed."
Amanda hopped through the door, her arms resting on her two friends' shoulders. Claire didn't bother asking for their name and dismissed them as soon as they had laid her on the examination table. She stayed silent for a few minutes as she worked, but had a grim expression when she turned to Amanda's face, her bare foot still in hand.
"This is not good, miss, um...
- Whitney, Amanda. Second year.
- Well, my dear Amanda... your ankle is broken. I will give you a splint, but it's a matter of months before it can support your weight again.
Amanda's heart sank.
- What? Months? But I... the competitions start in two weeks!
- I'm afraid you'll have to sit this one out, I'm sorry.
- But... I can't! I'm on a sports scholarship! If I miss the competitions I'm useless to the school, and they'll ditch me like a used condom!
- I'm sorry, I'm a nurse, not a cleric! I can't magic that fracture away. The best I can give you is a splint and a medical leave. Nothing will make it heal faster, unless you prefer the choke therapy.
- Oh yeah, 'cures all ills', that's it? Gee, thanks."
Claire got up and motioned to her desk.
"I'll just write you the leave, see if you can use it to negociate the scholarship, okay?
- Uhm... yeah, thank you. I'll have something to sign, I guess?"
- No, don't--
- Oh God, let me get you back on the bed."
Amanda hold to the examination table with all her might to keep from falling, cursing herself for absentmindedly trying to walk to the desk. As Claire helped her lift herself back onto the table, she spoke again.
"Don't try this stunt again even with the splint on, understood? You'll need a pair of crutches.
- You know what? Screw it. The choke therapy sounds like a better option now."
The nurse sat down next to Amanda.
"Are you sure about that?
- Of course not! That Post too long. Click here to view the full text.